Wednesday, April 21, 2010

60kms and counting.....



I ran the RAC 60km run on Sunday and it was GREAT! But bliksem it is bleddy far! The run was so well organised and there were a lot of runners. I imagined that it would be lonesome me at the back of the pack but I ran with people the whole way. I ran with my old buddy Bruce "oh captain my captain" Clark for the 1st 20 or so kms. We had a really lovely natter. I battled a bit from 20 - 32 kms and then something else kicked in. I took an Ibumol for my knee (the ITB in my right knee was biting) and put my ear phones in and sang my way through about 30kms. Dougie met me at about 34 kms. It was lovely to see him and get some snacks and TLC. I finished the run strong mentally and physically and also not feeling like I couldn't take one more step - which has boosted my confidence. I got to 45kms at 5h30 and finished in 7h40. It is still a little slow. I want to get to 45km on Comrades in 5:15 which just gives a little more breathing space for the 2nd half.
I am so excited and nervous and can't wait and am dreading it and ready for the challenge.
I still have a couple of weeks of biggish milage but it will all start coming down now.

No comments:

Post a Comment