Monday, February 21, 2011

Bielie Mielie Fees




We went off to Reitz this weekend. Doug and Fiona were doing a 90km mountain bike ride and Kayla and I went along for the ride. Rietz is this very small dorpie in the Freestate in the middle of farming country. After we dropped Fi and Doug off at the start in Frankfort (about 60kms down the road) Kayla and I went back to Reitz for some Bielie Mielie Fees. It was fantastic! It was so authentically Afrikaans and somehow so simple. I stuffed myself full of deep fried pastry things, sausages, pankoeke en alles. Kayla and I wandered around. I never once said to her to hurry up - we did it all at her pace. We went on the funfair rides and my child proved again the strength of her need-for-speed gene. I went on a big fast ride with her. I squealed my way around the ride (naturally) and she just giggled and giggled. There were these huge farming tractor things that completely dwarfed everything around them. The majority of men were the opitomy of the Boere - wif their kort broek, lang kouse, comb in the socks and the vroumense het baaie mooi kruller in hul hare and baie mooi rokkies. It was such a wonderful experience.
It had been raining a lot and the place was very muddy and wet. Well Kayla found as many puddles as she possibly could and splooshed through all of them. She was sopping wet and filthy dirty and as happy as a lark!
It was a great weekend away is this awesome country of ours!




2 comments:

  1. You must be homesick for the pankoeke and koeksusters and NOT for the mud puddles!
    Shame my sista! xxxx

    ReplyDelete